9.17.2005

on excessive tea-drinking

'Some misguided person lured poor old Buffy into one of those temperance lectures illustrated with coloured slides, and the called on me next day ashen, poor old chap - ashen. "Gally," he said. "What would you say the procedure was when a fellow wants to buy tea? How would a fellow set about it?" "Tea?" I said. "What do you want tea for?" "To drink," said Buffy. "Pull yourself together, dear boy," I said. "You're talking wildly. You can't drink tea. Have a brandy-and-soda." "No more alcohol for me," said Buffy. "Look what it does to the common earthworm." "But you're not a common earthworm," I said, putting my finger on the flaw in his argument right away. "I dashed soon shall be if I go on drinking alcohol," said Buffy. Well, I begged him with tears in my eyes not to do anything rash, but I couldn't move him. He ordered in ten pounds of the muck and was dead inside the year.' [summer lightning]

2 Comments:

Blogger emelina said...

doesn't the quote continue, though? he dies from being hit by a bus or something of the sort, doesn't he? that's the part i thought was hilarous...

3:52 PM  
Blogger mike said...

wow that was random

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home